Our Christmas Tree Team are sharing their top tips for real trees.
- Make sure you buy a fresh Christmas Tree, just run your finger along the branches if the needles fall off, it is far from fresh, if they stay on then its a fresh tree. It goes without saying that all of our Real Christmas Trees are Forest Fresh.
- Once you get the tree home, put it in a cool sheltered place (out of the wind) until you are ready to bring it into the house. It is also a good idea if it is out of sight, as Christmas trees left in gardens can be tempting to burglars!
- To keep your tree looking fresh, cut the bottom inch off your tree. (This is so your tree will be able to take up water to keep it fresh and healthy over Christmas.)
- Forestry Commission scientists discovered that freshly cut trees can drink up water in the same way as cut flowers, if the bottom of the tree has been freshly cut.
- Pop the tree into a bucket of water, adding a spoonful of sugar will also help to keep the tree healthy.
- Bring the tree into the house when you are ready, but try to avoid doing this if it is frosty outside as the shock of going from a frosty garden to a warm room can be too much for your tree.
- Make sure the tree is stood in a container with plenty of fresh water. (There are specially designed Christmas Tree stands that do this and make it so much easier than a bucket and bricks!)
- Take great care that this water is kept well away from any electrical lights etc.
- As the tree drinks the water over Christmas, make sure you keep it topped up.
Sit back, relax and enjoy your real tree, after all it is not Christmas until the tree is up!