1800 – In the beginning
Four generations of the Stephenson family have farmed at Wandale Farm in Bridlington since the late 1800’s. However it was only 50 years ago in 1960 when Eastfield Farm was purchased. This is somewhat obviously where the Garden Centre takes it’s name; (which is just as well, Wandale Garden Centre just doesn’t have the same ring to it does it?)
1976 – The business begins
Eastfield Garden Centre opened its doors for the first time in 1976 (which coincidentally was the last time we had a good long hot summer!)
At that time Eastfield Garden Centre consisted of just two glasshouses and we concentrated on selling a wide range of plants.
1998 – A new trend is set
By 1998 the Garden Centre had grown considerably, and after much thought and deliberation in July of that year building work started on our café, which was situated on land that the previous owner John Stephenson had earmarked for a Potting Shed, hence the name of our first coffee shop. We also started to grow our own plants in 1998.
2004 – A time for growth
As the Garden centre grew and developed we realised that what we lacked most was a good area to for plants and so we built the new plantaria at the front of the garden centre in 2004.
We spend a lot of time sourcing plants for our plantaria as we want to be known for our inspirational, distinctive plant range.
2009 – A leap of faith
However our largest building project to date was the new extension, which we opened in April 2009. This houses our new Fine Foods Hall, and our new Autumn Bliss Coffee Bar.
We love living in the Bridlington area with its beautiful coastline and surrounding countryside. We try to be as involved as possible with our local community and support as many local organisations and charities as we can.
We are proud of what we have achieved, we feel we have created a unique garden Centre, one that is just that bit different from the rest.
But the best thing of all is that our son, the fifth generation of Stephenson is now fully involved in the business.